Degree in Information Technology for Business : Level 4/5 with LOC ATHE & Level 6 with Southampton Solent University BSc (Hons)£17,250 * Level4 Fees is £4000 and Level 5 Fees is £4000.00. The Tuition fees for Southampton Solent University Level 6 is £9,250 paid directly to University.*
About this course
This course is ideal for those with a passion for understanding and developing software systems, databases, web development and other computing-related disciplines – and who aspire for a career where they support, research, design, deploy and maintain computing systems. Gain the key skills to enter a fascinating career in software engineering or the general technology industry on this employability-focused computing degree. This practical degree encourages you to develop an extensive knowledge of computer programming using Java and Python. A range of projects will also help you build practical experience in designing, building and implementing computer systems, culminating in a major final-year software development project.
We believe it is important that you enter the world of work with a range of skills that enable you to succeed, and actively focus on enhancing your employability throughout the degree. You will be supported to gain work experience throughout your degree, and recent students have worked with a wide range of companies including large organisations such as the NHS, General Dynamics, Qinetiq, Garmin, Rackspace, the Met Office, Ordnance Survey and Capita and many more local SMEs such as CleverTouch, Transactor Global Solutions, Zentive, Westermo and MWR Security.
Thanks to the course teams close links with industry, the curriculum is informed through a range of guest speakers, live briefs and access to regular British Computer Society (The Chartered Institute for IT) meetings, held at the University.
Professional practice also extends into the curriculum with several current staff accredited in Prince2, Oracle Java and SQL, E-C Council Certified Ethical Hacker and through the Solent University Cisco Academy
Level4 Fees is £4000 and Level 5 Fees is £4000.00. *The tuition fees for the 2020/21 academic year for Southampton Solent University is: UK and EU full-time fees: £9,250 per year, International full-time fees: £13,260 per year paid directly to University. The fees is subject to change every academic year.
What is Included in The Cost Of My Course?
All Course Material, including online modules and written assignments. Access to an online Social Learning Forum. Assignment marking and feedback.
Am I Eligible For This Progamme?
To enrol onto the Level 4 course, you must be at least 18 and have a full secondary education. Before enroling on to the Level 5 course, you must complete the Level 4 or equivalent.
Level 4 Module Listing
- Introduction to Computing This module will explore the functions of computing systems and the basics of design, configuration and routine maintenance.
- Introduction to Programming This module examines the basis of OOS and how programming fits into the broader aspects of usage of applications.
- Introduction to Databases This module will enable understanding of database design and development and enable students to develop and design a database and explore solutions to meet client brief . Learners will learn how to design a database.
- Requirements Engineering This module is concerned with the analysis of IT and computing needs to develop requirement specifications and develop and test prototypes.
- Systems Analysis and Design This module provides an understanding of IS concepts and how they relate to organisation needs in respect of business processes and transformation of information.
- E- Commerce Applications This module explores the role of eCommerce in the modern world and in particular the identification of aims and objectives within a business and the design issues arising from the definition of requirements.
- Human Computer Interaction This module will develop students understanding of principles and models of Human Computer Interaction and evaluate existing HCI design and principles and use this to help them plan their own prototype multimedia user interface.
- IT and Society This module examines the impact of technology on society and explores trends and changes created. It will examine management issues and potential conflicts in terms of security and data management.
- Information Systems Project Management This module explores elements of project management key to successful development and implementation of specific IT projects.
Level 5 Module Listing
- Innovative Technologies in Computing This module looks at innovative trends and disruptive advances taking place and examines the new generation of skills and knowledge that will be required to work successfully in the sector.
- Computing Research Methods This module will explore the knowledge and skills required to undertake research in this field and the qualitative and quantitative approaches required including use of literature and design of research proposals.
- Software Development Methodologies This module looks at the role of systems engineering in development of software and various models of data, software and processes using modelling approaches.
- Computing Project Planning Creating and managing projects has changed over the years with the development of sophisticated IT Software, this Module focuses on how being a project manager in the 80’s differs to being a project manager in today’s world.
- Strategic Management Information Systems This module is concerned with developing an understanding of the strategic role of MIS within the organisation and how it impacts on the broader objectives and strategy of the business.
- Ethical, Legal and Professional Issues in IT This module explores current issues in the IT sector and how these may impact on areas of security, confidentiality, privacy and the law.
- Network Design and Management This module explores the principles of networks and network design and implementation and support of network systems.
- Web Based Development This module will explore the design, deployment and management of virtualisation and explore its commercial and potential impact.
- Cyber Security This module will enable an understanding of the importance of digital security to business, to understand industry standards of digital security and be able to recommend improvements in security.
Level 6 Southampton Solent University
Core modules for Level 6 are –
- Dissertation Project
- Data Science
- Industrial Consulting Project
- Contemporary Web Applications
- Immersive Technologies
- UX Strategies
Please note: Not all optional modules are guaranteed to run each year. ACCREDITATIONS
Our undergraduate computing courses are accredited by the Chartered Institute for IT (BCS) – the leading industry body for IT professional around the world.
This accreditation is validation that our programmes meet the high standards set by the industry, providing you with a foundation for a future career in IT Web-based learning -Solent’s virtual learning environment provides quick online access to assignments, lecture notes, suggested reading and other course information. The Student Hub – The Student Hub is a central space where you can access all of the information and support you need during your time at University
Solent’s Computing course will prepare you for a wide range of graduate level employment opportunities. Suitable roles for graduates include: • Software developer • Web designer• Full stack developer• IT support• Network manager• Project manager• Database manager• Data analyst• DevOps• User experience (UX)
Video testimonials – https://youtu.be/W4i7h3aLggc
Our course begins with the first step for generating great user experiences: understanding what people do, think, say, and feel. In this module, you’ll learn how to keep an open mind while learning.